Saturday, March 7, 2020

The Place of the Wound is the Place of the Gift


It must be 40 years since I was introduced to the concept of spiritual garbage by my great friend Fr. Tot O'Dea.  We were both ordained in the cathedral in Carlow City, Ireland.  We became neighborhood pastors, and what a blessing that was.  It was at breakfast when Tot broke down garbage into, G-as guilt, A -anger, R -resentment, B-boredom, A-anxiety, G-greed, E-envy.  These next 40 years has been a journey into discovery. Discovering the power of undealt with garbage, and what happens in the recycling of self same garbage, has been one of the greatest gifts that my Gracious Creator has blessed me with.  Then to make this journey more awe-full, and wonder-full along comes Pope Francis and his great message revealing anew our Father's mysterious gift of mercy. The Pope kept referring to the oil of mercy.  By doing so, we were asked to focus our attention our attention on the many properties of oil, and its sacramental significance and understanding. So, for me this focus on similarity between the workings of oil has become an ever deepening conversion experience.  In my wildest dreams I never thought that at the end of my days there would be such a profound ongoing spiritual journey.  This has changed my approach to both preaching and teaching.  Being in the process of conversion, I am able to approach The Sacrament of Reconciliation through a whole different light.  Now, the emphasis is on reconciliation and healing, leading to a new way of living.  Yes! God is the God of surprises.  This one I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment