Sunday, April 5, 2020

The Tsunami called Holy Week


"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.  I do not see the road ahead of me.  I do not know for certain where it will end, nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am doing Your will does not mean I am actually doing so.  But I believe that the desire to please does in fact please you.   And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.  I hope I will never do anything apart from that desire.  And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it.  Therefore I will trust You always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.  I will not fear, for You are with me.  And You will never leave me to face my perils alone."  From "Out of Solitude" by Thomas Merton.

I will keep that in front of me so when I seem to have nothing to write, all I will have to do is reread those words and I will be fine.  As many of you have been on the receiving end of this over these many years it is great to have this as a reminder of the journey we are on, as we begin our journey into The mysterious  Mysteries of Holy Week.  The week that makes it possible for us to become more, whole, holy.  Whether  "that becoming" happens is entirely up to the use of our free will to the approach of grace.  That word "approach" is essential to our understanding of how grace works.  Our Gracious Creator gave us the awe-full very mysterious gift of free will.  Our Tremendous Lover always respects that gift of freedom.  Our Lover approaches, and like all great lovers offer love but in no way can it or will it be forced.  At times we wish that our Higher Power,  The Great Creative Spirit would just take over, and we could be along for the ride. Ain't going to happen.  Tried it, does not work, darn it!!!  There is so much respect, and reverence for our boundaries, there cannot be any force or fear used as a weapon of entry by Our Gracious Lover.  Duck your heads for there is a Tsunami of grace on the way.  Let us get ready for the ride of our spiritual lives.

I used to love to body surf.  As a surfer you were always on the lookout for the "big one" and it gathered momentum "outside."  That is what we all shouted "outside" letting everybody be aware of what was coming.  Then you had to prepare yourself for the ride.  When you caught a really big one, what a thrill it was.  Those big rides kept one returning day after day.  Get ready we have begun to ride the Tsunami Wave of the week we call Holy.  We have spent the last six weeks looking out, preparing for this new really "big one" as it approaches.  I hate to burst the bubble, Holy week is NOT something new, we are in reality, living it's reality in every now moment of our daily lives.  What is most familiar we take for granted.  Nothing is taken more for granted than our daily participation of The Paschal Mystery. The Mystery of our faith which we have been initiated into at Baptism.  That initiation has resulted to a lifelong process of discovery, and we continue that journey of discovery in and through this very new and unique sacramental moment.  For this Holy week of 2020 we will be required to have a new set of lenses leading to new and exciting adventure in grace.  This year of Our Lord, 2020, demands that we go deeper than ever before so as to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment