Friday, June 12, 2020

Powerlessness, Part 2


The Loving Savior comes to us in the agony of our weaknesses, there to transform us and create a new and a more honest human being.  The radical love offered cannot be encountered in our illusions, in the masks we wear to protect our false image our false self. Looking good on the outside and going to hell in a basket on the inside is the chosen reality of so many. To challenge that illusional living is dangerous work.  The following has got me into a lot of trouble.   I was want to say, "A clean house is the sign of a sick family.  The cleaner the house the sicker the family." Some of the most dysfunctional families I have encountered you could, as we say in Ireland, eat off the floor.  I was scared to be in those houses lest I disturb something.   Then I was reminded of what John Bradshaw wrote in Healing The shame That Binds "perfectionism is a cover up for toxic shame."  On the other hand healthy spirituality allows us to be perfectly imperfect.   In the embracing of our imperfections we FALL INTO the ever patient awaiting arms of Mysterious Ever Faith-full Lover.

As you can guess I have read a great deal over the years.   I can thank my mother for that.   I cannot remember, and I have well used to have a great memory a time where my mother was not reading her love stories.  I got introduced to books early after my love affair with "The Beano,"  and "The Dandy" comic books.   All through high school and college I was a voracious reader.   After ordination I had to read and study hard to keep up with the evolution that took place following the explosion that was The Second Vatican Council.   Pieces from that explosion are still falling to earth,  much to some timid people’s chagrin.   From all that reading, and not from my thoughts came the "chart," "The Battle Field Of The Soul."  This is not an original thought.  Kahil Kibran wrote a long time ago "your soul is oftentimes a battle field."  I have also read this very humbling quote; "all spiritual writing is plagiarism."  So with that said let us explore that "chart."

No comments:

Post a Comment