Tuesday, June 18, 2019

You are beloved claim it!!!


On my early walk this morning I was blessing Pope Francis in a big, big way.  He has just made my challenges of preaching, teaching, and writing so much easier.  Last week it was announced that the Pope was changing two prayers that are spoken by so many, so, so often.  We will now say "Do not let us fall into temptation," instead of saying "lead us not into temptation." The leading of us into temptation is NOT God’s doing, that is Satan’s department.  A department we must avoid ever and always. All I can say is WOW!!! WOW!! and WOW !!! again and again and again. (We Irish do nothing in moderation.  Our blessing and our curse!!!! God save us.)  Wait for it, it gets better.  We will now say "peace on Earth to people beloved by God."  There is not one person alive that is not the beloved of God. So peace is wished as a blessing to and on all.  There is so many layers of meaning to those two words, "peace" and "Beloved."

Let us begin with that wonder-full, awe-full scriptural word beloved. The Prophet Jesus is pointed to by "A Voice from Heaven," as, "This is MY Beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased," "This is My Beloved Son listen to Him."  In the writings of St. John, also named "the beloved," that word is also used.  When I speak to a person on the phone or meet them at the mall I usually ask "How is the beloved?"  I make an effort not to use any other word, but I do fail from time to time. "How is she/he ?" does not cut it.  It is so impersonal, almost detached.  (Next time you are in company watch for those who refer to their significant other as "she/he" as opposed to those who use first names with real positive feelings underlining the word.  Of course there are exceptions especially when there is tension in the relationship). Each one of us ache for our names to be spoken by the beloved in our lives.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment